saving the environment isn't all about planting trees and saving whales. if you think that you, as an individual, can't do anything for mother earth, you can't be more wrong. a little change in your lifestyle and altering your mindless choices might seem like it won't make a difference, but imagine if millions of other people did the same? here are 10 simple things you can do everyday that in the long run will benefit you, your children, your grandchildren, the environment, the planet, the future!
1. if you're having coffee at starbucks "for here," ask to have it in a mug instead of a paper cup.
2. when ordering fast food for delivery or to-go, just take what you need. if you don't need the plastic utensils or extra chili flakes, ask the staff to remove them.
3. if you're loyal to certain brands of shampoo, body lotion or mayonnaise, buy them in the big bottles. lots of small bottles = lots of trash.
4. when you go shopping, bring your own lightweight tote to stash all your purchases, instead of having each one wrapped in a plastic bag. or if your purchase is tiny, just toss it into your purse.
5. never never never throw your rubbish out your car window! on the ground! into any available orifice! we've seen plastic cups tossed out of cars, potato-chip bags strewn on the sidewalk, and candy wrappers thrust into vases, flower pots and water pipes. would it hurt you to hold on to them till you find a proper trash bin?
6. if you have a computer that accepts faxes, just receive and store them there instead of printing them out.
7. you may not know it, but shopping for clothes at garage sales, segunda mano and ukay-ukay is actually a form of recycling. why buy new when old and used are still in pretty good shape?
8. while we're on the subject of recycling, reduce, reuse and recycle as much as you can. use grocery bags as bin liners. use the back of memos as scratch paper. use your empty absolut bottles as water bottles!
9. update your wardrobe by making your own accessories with found objects around your house. we're lucky fashion today is all about individuality and uniqueness and character.
10. use less water: shut the faucet while brushing or shaving, fix leaks, water plants in the evening, and take shorter showers!