if last year was all about the boho look, this year was all about the 80s. but no sightings of football-player-sized shoulder pads, thank god. but plenty of leggings, and we’re sure you’ll agree with us when we say, tama na, sobra na, sunugin naaaaa! here are the top 10 fashion trends of 2006. which ones did you wear to death?
1. leggings: it was the biggest trend of the year. it was kinda edgy when the cool girls started wearing them last summer, but by christmas we were ready to ban them when everyone and her yaya owned a pair. best in leggings: astrud (at the shu uemura/motorola/smart/JAL event) gets it right when she slips leggings under a skirt full of holes.
2. opaque stockings: it took a while for the laydeez to pick up this trend, only showing up all over the place—in local magazines and legs everywhere—in the last quarter. too hot to wear maybe? best in opaque tights: apples’s (at metrowear gala) slim black-clad pins are the perfect backdrop for her vintage white balenciaga mini-shift.
3. short shorts (a.k.a. pekpek shorts): shorts were still hot this year, but they inched their way up the thigh, and from daywear into eveningwear, styled with stilettos, sparkly accessories, and attitude. best in pekpek shorts: valerie and bubbles (at the face shop opening). well, hello, who else would look fab in the teeniest tiniest shorts but models??
4. volume: by way of bubble skirts, poufy sleeves, and all that extra fabric pinned, ruched, and draped every which way. best in volume: tessa prieto-valdes (at the vertu launch), who is always larger-than-life, literally and figuratively, thanks to her voluminous ensembles.
5. plunging necklines: all of a sudden, it became ok to lower your neckline all the way down to your navel. what used to be bastos is now the height of fashion. best in plunging neckline: kat (at the shu uemura/motorola/smart/JAL event)—the ruffles, demure full skirt, and bright turquoise color temper the naughty neckline. ah, to be young and have a pair of perky boobs. AND, take note, natural!
6. wedges/platforms: all of a sudden, everyone looked six feet tall, thanks to vertiginous wedges and platform shoes, the perfect footwear for poufy silhouettes. best in wedges: celine (at the nicolas ghesquière dinner) in her exquisitely carved miu miu wedge maryjanes, which make celine’s long legs look even longer.
7. layered chain necklaces: last year’s crafty necklaces gave way this year to gold and silver chains, with or without pendants, in different lengths, worn all together. it was almost an art form to get the combination right. best with layered necklaces: peewee’s (at philippine fashion week) delicate combination go well with her chiffony dress and pale-colored boots.
8. big bags: this year, when it came to bags, the mantra was the bigger the better. it became practically a contest who would show up with the biggest bag. designer, of course. best with big bag: cecile (at the Y style 3rd anniversary party) and her much-coveted goyard jeanne GM. here's a closer look at that bag:
9. oversized sunglasses: a trend started by the olsen twins and hollywood’s zoe-bots, particularly nicole richie, whose image was plastered on every tabloid with sickening regularity. those bug-eyed shades were the perfect way to shield one’s eyes from the merciless paparazzi. best in bug eyes: jenni (at the rockwell vintage bazaar) in the now-classic white dior glossy sunglasses.
10. headbands: a trend that snuck up on us, and now, everyone is wearing them! girls started out tying long skinny scarves around their head and making the ends trail down the front. now you can buy a ready-made headband covered in fabric, which extends down the sides. best in headband: celine (again) who made the hermès twilly her signature accessory in 2006.
(L-R: at xeng and tessa's birthday party at embassy, JM's birthday party at embassy cuisine, nicolas ghesquière dinner at bistro filipino)
runners-up: minis (skirts and dresses), skinny jeans, wide belts, bangs (long, side-wept, full), ankle booties, and fashion blogs like the fash pack :-)